You have rented a bike for the month of August in one of the agencies and you are looking for activities and events in the area to do by bike or after a day of cycling? Don't worry, Paulette has found for you the activities, events and exhibitions along the routes and in her agencies! She has chosen to select events taking place only in August, but you will of course find many other annual activities to discover also in August on the websites of the tourist offices of the different towns! Have a nice summer!
- The city offers summer stopovers, i.e. a 3-hour trip on a traditional boat to discover Brest's harbour and its maritime heritage in general.
- You can also relive the industrial epic of the Capucins workshops for 1 hour 30 minutes where you will have to swap your bicycles for walking shoes on August 5th!
- The tourist office also offers a rally to discover Brest while solving riddles and to find out who sabotaged the Lanning Buissonnier frigate!
- The Astropolis Festival also takes place: the must-see electronic music event in France! Take a break from cycling to attend the electro afternoons and club nights, which end with THE concert in Keroual wood!
- The city also offers exhibitions:
- Anima musica: until 5 September, come and admire 12 giant insects made up solely of elements from musical instruments which are set in motion and come to life before your eyes!
- Maurice ROLLET DE L'ISLE: discover an exhibition in homage to this engineer-hydrographer, reporter of explorations who worked for the knowledge of the oceans until August 31.
- Various works by different authors are on display at the Passerelle art centre in Brest until 11 September, on the world of cycling, the horse world, the sea... and many other themes where everyone will find their own interest!
- The city offers you its "Journey to Nantes", thanks to which, until the end of August, you can discover the city through a route of 30 stages marked out by works of art, the great squares of the city as well as its essential monuments! Outside Nantes, in Gacilly, you can enjoy the same spirit at the photo festival and its open-air art galleries!
- On the music side, the festival aux heures d'été, a festival of cultures from here and elsewhere, until 13 August, in the afternoon or evening, allows you to relax after a day of cycling (or not) by coming to see concerts, shows for children, reading and open-air films for free!
- The Rendez-vous de l'Erdre festival offers free jazz concerts at the end of August.
- Tempo2Rives offers to attend musical scenes and live shows while discovering the city's heritage and visual arts. Enjoy a free summer programme, accessible to all and adapted for young audiences. A great way to spend an evening in the heart of the city after a day of cycling!
- In the company of an archaeologist, discover the remains and archaeological studies of the Château d'Angers. (until 26 August)
- You can also pedal to the Angers Lake where you can enjoy bike rides and various activities!
- The city also offers exhibitions:
- Bogdan KONOPKA focusing on light. (until 28 August)
- Julien PARSY : come and discover his paintings and drawings. (until 18 September)
A variety of activities are on offer to enable everyone to have a good time!
- Bike rides: the train in Tours, a whole history. For 2.5 hours, discover the city's railway history by bike! On 25 August only.
- Bike rides to discover the ceramists of Tours for 2 hours. On August 14th only!
- Bike rides to the small squares and secret gardens of Tours. A 2-hour ride through the city on 7 August only!
- Great running Tours: Until August 29th, swap your bike for a good pair of trainers and walk 6 kilometres in the heart of the city and discover the history of its monuments! Do it by day or by night!
- 7 wines, 7 gardens: set off on a tasting of 7 wines in 7 parks and gardens of Tours in the company of experienced winemakers and oenologists, you can also discover local gastronomic specialities! from 11 June to 3 September!
- The Renaissance Sound and Light Nights: the façade of the Musée des Beaux-Arts allows you to rediscover the great events of the Renaissance thanks to the images that are projected. From 1 August to 5 September from 10.15 pm to 10.35 pm.
- 37 degrees in the shade festival: discover compositions by Bach, Glincka, Brahms and others performed by renowned musicians! From 1 to 22 August.
In La Rochelle
You can :
- Leave your bike for a ride around La Rochelle on a motor tricycle for 2 hours and 38 kilometres of guided tour to discover the emblematic places of La Rochelle!
- Attend an organ concert "Moments musicaux du marché" on 4 and 18 August.
- Visit Sébastien Lifshitz's exhibition featuring homosexual couples from the late 19th century to the 1980s, free of charge.
The town offers you :
- The fireworks display on Sunday 15 August on the Grande Conche beach, an annual event not to be missed!
- The arts and flavours market: until September 2nd, visit this market of arts and crafts and local producers every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday!
- The puppet show until 31 August 2021 every day at 5pm and 9.30pm which will delight young and old alike!
- Exhibitions: take a break from your bikes for a few hours and attend the various exhibitions in the town: that of photographer Thibaude J on Fridays and Saturdays until 27 August (rue des Bains), that of Clément Chambaud, "Nuits d'estuaire", which focuses on the sky, until 29 August, or a painting exhibition, "L'inquiétante étrangeté", until 19 September at the town's contemporary art space.
- The guided tour of Royan: let yourself be carried away by the history of Royan as told by the speakers who will walk with you through the town. The tour ends with a tasting at the town's market. Every Monday at 10am for 2 hours until the end of August. Departure in front of the Palais des Congrès.
Paulette has selected various activities:
- The International Organ Festival: 4, 5, 11, 12, 18, 19 25 and 26 August. Attend a concert by various artists. Free access.
- The World Circus: performances from 26 August until 19 September. 100% human circus and 100% new show!
- An exhibition: Drinking with the gods at the Cité du Vin, which deals with mythology and establishes a link between Greco-Roman civilisation and wine. (until 29 August)
- Attend the summer scenes in Gironde! Music, theatre and shows are on offer!
Concerts and other events:
- Grand Pruneau Show: on the last weekend of August, during 3 days, a series of concerts and shows on the banks of the Garonne while tasting prunes distributed for the occasion! Something to recharge your batteries after a bike ride.
- Until August 20th, Place de la mairie and Place du docteur Esquirol, you will find musical and dance animations, open-air cinema, but also theatre scenes.
- The organ hours of the Saint Caprais cathedral: until August 25th, you can attend concerts and visit the organ.
- Garonne-plage sets up 19 days during which you can swim and do activities (paddle, kayak, boat) and animations (fishing initiations, raft creation...) a rich and varied programme for all ages.
- "1951, Agen and Koblet in the legend of the Tour de France" from 16 June to 3 September. Immerse yourself in the world of cycling and discover the archives, testimonies of the Tour de France which stopped in Agen and of which the Swiss rider Koblet was the winner.
- "Inventing colour. Homage to Louis DUCOS DU HAUDRON" from 3 July and for 3 months, you can discover a hundred works by 19 photographers dedicated to the commemoration of the centenary of the death of Louis DUCOS DU HAURON, inventor of colour photography.
- Catherine BALET until 22 August: the Toulouse water tower pays tribute to renowned photographers.
- Le festin de febus at Jacobins' covent takes place until August 22nd and highlights diplomatic feasts in the Middle Ages and proposes conferences and animations on this theme.
- Building the Calais Dragon at the Halle aux Machines until 27 August is an exhibition that traces the adventure of the team that brought the dragon to life. (Behind the scenes of the construction)
- Revue noire until 29 August at Les Abattoirs museum traces the dynamic culture in Africa and the new forms of contemporary creation on the continent.
- Life Time until August 28 at Place du Capitole retraces works made between the Dead Sea, Israel and France. (videos, works, photographs, drawings, sculptures)
- Sur un air de DEODAT until October 2nd at the library of study and heritage, the exhibition celebrates the 100th anniversary of the death of Déodat de Séverac.
- Gabriel DURAND: until October 2nd at the Musée du Vieux Toulouse, the exhibition represents about thirty works of the artist.
- Halle Night Long: until August 28th, every Friday and Saturday from 7.30 pm to 10 pm on the banks of the Canal du Midi after a day of cycling, attend free concerts at the Halle aux Machines
- Cycle to the Lac de la Reynerie where shows, activities and workshops are offered all summer long. The perfect time to take a break and recharge your batteries!
- Les instantanés: until 28 August, Toulouse Métropole is organising 43 shows in the streets of Toulouse all summer long!
- Les potagers du Monde: to be discovered in the gardens of the Museum on Saturday 7 August.
- Watch a film in the open air at the Toulouse Cinematheque all summer long.
The medieval city offers activities around the Middle Ages:
- The Carcassonne festival from June to August, attend medieval shows and other activities and entertainment.
- Les gardiens de la cité: until August 31st, let yourself be carried away by this immersive experience that takes you to the end of the 14th century. Workshops, activities, discoveries, shows and concerts not to be missed!
- Visitors to history: go on an adventure with this immersive night-time tour of the ramparts of Carcassonne! Until 28 August, discover the history of the city in a different way thanks to a sound and playful tour!
- Tournament of knights: attend an impressive medieval tournament including acrobatics, fights and stunts by 8 knights! Daily performances of 35 minutes until 27 August.
Several events are proposed:
- The festival Barques en scène from 20 to 22 August offers free concerts with well-known artists and bodegas.
- The organ festival on 3 August (organ and hurdy-gurdy), 10 August (organ and violin), 17 August (organ and trumpet) and 31 August "les cuivres de Versailles" in the Saint-Just-et-Saint-Pasteur cathedral. Admission is free but reservations are required.
- Les nuits merveilleuses de Narbonne (Narbonne's wonderful nights): take a walk through the town and discover a new and free sound and light show every evening until 22 August.
- The exhibition "Vikings: a source of inspiration, from comics to video games" which highlights the Thorgal series in comics and the game Assassin's Creed Valhalla from Ubisoft Studios which will appeal to Viking fans!
- The Big Tour: on 13 August from 5pm, come and attend this event which aims to promote French know-how in industry, innovation and technology.
- The musical fountain: until 31 August, watch an aquatic fireworks display in the heart of the city, with a water jet of sound and light.
- Cycle around Béziers and discover the summer decorations in the city centre! 250 Chinese lanterns in the shape of birds, the lawns of Jean Jaurès decorated with dinosaurs and other animals, but also a giant chessboard and many other decorations!
- Les folies Gruss: attend an equestrian show of acrobatics, acrobatics and humour lasting an hour and a half where artists and horses perform to the sound of an orchestra. Until August 22nd.
- Les mystères de la madeleine : a show with metaphorical and mythological pictures projected on the façade of the church telling the Greek past of Béziers. Until August 31st.
- Discover the 9 locks of Fonseranes thanks to a cool storytelling walk until August 30th.
- La Feria de Béziers: from 11 to 15 August, in the Béziers arenas, leave your bike and attend the bullfights, equestrian shows and novillada proposed by the city!
- À bras le corps: until 8 August, discover Eve Laroche-Joubert's open-air exhibition combining sculpture, performance, architecture and design!
- Les invisibles: Nathalie ALBALADEJO's exhibition bringing together a collection of monotypes, inks and poems can be seen until 14 August.
- TOPOLINO's exhibition: discover the works of the Sète watercolourist and draughtsman TOPOLINO until 15 August at the Paul Valéry Museum.
- Observe the sky: until 27 August, the Sétoise Astronomy Association invites you to observe the stars free of charge every Friday at 10.30 pm.
- The association Les Compagnons du Livre also invites you to the book and waste paper fair on 8 August from 10 am to 6 pm on Place Léon Blum.
- For rap fans, Sète offers the demi-festival from 13 to 15 August, the first independent francophone rap festival in the region at the Théâtre de la Mer.
- Also at the Théâtre de la Mer, the Night with BRASSENS takes place on 17 August at 7pm with various artists.
- Finally, the Saint Louis festival takes place this year from 19 to 24 August. Sète's patronal festival is the time when street entertainment comes to life, but also the jousting tournament and many other activities!
Finally in Argelès there is entertainment, especially at the town's port:
- Every Wednesday in August, come to the port after your day's cycling and watch the fireworks, music and entertainment from 9pm!
- On Sunday evenings in August, the quays of the port come alive with wooden games and other entertainment.
- Every Thursday evening, come and watch a film at the open-air cinema on the Argelès beach.
- Laugh at a humorous cabaret evening at the grand Cat'Barré on August 14th.
- Take a bike ride organised by the vélo club des Albères which offers 6 different circuits.
- Discover Catalan culture with the Diad'Argeles evenings with brass bands, bodegas, correfoc and castellers free of charge on 7 August at 8pm!
Stay tuned for more adventures with Paulette!
Find us and share your memories on Facebook and Instagram with #paulettebike. Don't forget to mention us: @paulettebike !